This undated photo provided by the Aurora, Ill., Police Department shows Timmothy Pitzen, missing since 2011. A young man's claim to be Timmothy, the missing Illinois boy who disappeared under tragic circumstances eight years ago, has been exposed as a hoax, authorities said Thursday, April 4, 2019. DNA tests have determined the young man is not Timmothy. (Aurora Police Department via AP)

Family of missing boy was elated, then devastated by hoax

April 05, 2019 - 12:11 am

AURORA, Ill. (AP) — The family of an Illinois boy missing for eight years was initially elated by a report that suggested he might have been found.

Timmothy Pitzen vanished at age 6 in 2011, around the time his mother killed herself. So relatives were amazed to hear that a young man had been found wandering the streets of a Kentucky town. He told police he had been held captive for seven years and that he was Timmothy, now 14.

For a day and a half, relatives waited and hoped for a breakthrough.

Then on Thursday came devastating word from the FBI: DNA tests showed that the man was not Timmothy.

Authorities say the person making the claim was actually a 23-year-old ex-convict who was recently released from an Ohio prison.

AP Editorial Categories: 
Tags: