The Latest: Trial begins for ex-NFL player Kellen Winslow Jr

May 20, 2019 - 1:41 pm

VISTA, Calif. (AP) — The Latest on the rape trial of Kellen Winslow Jr. (all times local):

11:30 a.m.

A jury in Southern California has heard opening statements from the prosecution and defense in the trial of former NFL player Kellen Winslow Jr. He faces charges of raping two women last year and an unconscious 17-year-old girl in 2003.

Prosecutor Dan Owens said evidence includes GPS locations showing the defendant's presence where victims say they encountered him and DNA tests showing traces of his semen on blood-stained pants from one victim.

Winslow Jr. was an NFL No. 1 draft pick and is the son of Hall of Famer Kellen Winslow. The elder Winslow was in the San Diego County courthouse.

Defense attorney Brian Watkins says his client had consensual sex with the women who are alleging rape.

___

Former NFL player Kellen Winslow Jr. is scheduled to begin his trial on multiple charges, including raping two women last year and raping an unconscious 17-year-old girl in 2003.

The 35-year-old — once the NFL's highest-paid tight end — has pleaded not guilty to the charges.

Winslow could face up to life in prison if convicted.

He was arrested last year in the beach town of Encinitas, north of San Diego.

Prosecutors say some attacks were part of a crime spree targeting middle-aged and elderly women. He was later charged with the 2003 attack.

The son of Hall of Famer Kellen Winslow, he played for Cleveland, Tampa Bay, New England and the New York Jets from 2004 to 2013.

AP Editorial Categories: