FWPD Releases Body Cam Footage Of Deadly Officer-Involved Shooting

Andrew Greenstein
August 22, 2019 - 5:21 pm

Courtesy Of Fort Worth PD

FORT WORTH (1080 KRLD) - Fort Worth Police release the body cam footage from yesterday’s deadly officer-involved shooting.

The footage clearly shows Amari Malone, 18, pointing a gun at officers as he was running from them.


The officers were trying to talk to Malone about a murder that happened earlier this month in the Las Vegas Trail area.

“Homicide detectives identified Amari Malone — the 18-year-old male who was involved in last night's officer-involved shooting — as a person of interest in that murder,” says Fort Worth Interim Police Chief Ed Kraus.

Officers found Malone yesterday evening in the Woodhaven area.

“At approximately 5:45 p.m. yesterday, offers observed Malone at the corner of Boca Raton and Oakland Hills Dr.,” says Kraus. “Officers attempted to speak with him when he fled from officers and drew a handgun from his waistband.

“As he fled, Malone turned back toward the pursuing officers and pointed the weapon directly at them,” Kraus continued. “The pursuing officers defended themselves by discharging their firearms.”

Malone was hit; he was rushed to a hospital, where he died from his injuries.

Kraus says the department released the body cam footage to dispel misinformation being spread on social media.

“We were seeing posts that this individual was unarmed and he had been shot multiple times in the back,” says Kraus. “Four of the pursuing officers discharged their handguns at Malone. Multiple rounds were fired; Malone was struck one time.”

Lee Merritt, the attorney hired by the Malone family, says the family is grateful for the quick release of the body cam footage.

“This family wasn't looking in, and is not looking, to blame anybody ... they wanted answers,” says Merritt.

Merritt says the family believes that the medical response time cost Malone his life.

“This was likely an injury that he could have recovered from with timely treatment,” Merritt says, “that it seemed for reasons that have not been explained to his family, he was denied.”

According to Fort Worth Police, after Malone was shot at 5:45, MedStar arrived at the scene at 5:56; they began transporting him by 6:13 and arrived at the hospital at 6:26.