Mavericks, Stars Prepare For Possibility Of Coronavirus

Alan Scaia
March 09, 2020 - 7:05 am
American Airlines Center

© Matthew Emmons-USA TODAY Sports

DALLAS (1080 KRLD) - The Dallas Mavericks and Dallas Stars say they are taking action to try to slow the spread of coronavirus.

The Stars lost at home to Nashville Saturday and will host the New York Rangers Tuesday; the Mavericks lost to Indiana at the AAC Sunday.

"Fortunately, in Dallas, we haven't really been hit, so it hasn't really been an issue at all," says Mavericks Owner Mark Cuban. "It's inevitable that there will cases in Dallas, but as long as everybody is vigilant and aware and keeps your hands in your pockets, then everything's okay."

Fans at the game Sunday say they were not worried.

"I have no concerns whatsoever. I feel like it's been overhyped," one fan said.

"You keep it in the back of your mind that it's out there, but you just live your life like normal," another said. "Just like you don't want to catch a cold or catch the flu."

The NBA sent a memo to players last week, telling them to avoid high-fiving fans or taking items to sign autographs. The NBA also sent a separate letter to teams, telling them to prepare for the possibility of playing games without fans present.

Cuban says the NBA has been in contact with the CDC and World Health Organization.

After Saturday's game, the Stars limited access to their locker room.

"Everyone wants to take the right precautions and hopefully nip this thing in the bud," Tyler Seguin told reporters in another room.