Texas Woman Recovering From Mercury Poisoning

Steven Pickering
January 10, 2020 - 9:05 am
Patient In Hospital

gorodenkoff/GettyImages

Categories: 

DALLAS (KRLD) - A woman from Texas is recovering after being hospitalized for ten days for complications from the treatment for mercury poisoning. State health officials say she was exposed to dangerous levels of mercury in a face cream she purchased during a trip to Mexico.

"This patient had a pharmacy in Mexico compound or mix up a face cream for her.  After she used it she fell ill," said Chris Van Deusen with the Texas Department of State Health Services. "We did some laboratory testing and determined it had mercury in it."

Federal regulations set a maximum level in skin cream of 1 part per million of mercury. Test results on the woman's face cream showed it had 29,000 parts per million of inorganic mercury.

Mercury poisoning can produce tremors, memory loss, headaches, high blood pressure and fatigue.

"Our best advice is to purchase these kinds of products in the United States from reputable retailers and make sure they are in packages that are still sealed and secured," Van Deusen said. "If you have any reason to believe you've purchased a product like this - obviously, don't use it. To dispose of it, seal it in a plastic bag. You can drop it off at a household hazardous waste drop off point."

Tags: