101-Year-Old Man Recovers from Coronavirus

Johnny Lopez
March 28, 2020 - 10:00 am

A centenarian has proven to be quite the survivor.

A 101-year-old man has been released from an Italian hospital after recovering from coronavirus.

The unidentified man was admitted into the hospital last week after testing positive for COVID-19 and was released on Thursday, said Gloria Lisi, the deputy mayor of Rimini in Northern Italy, according to CNN.

Known only as “Mr. P,” Lisi called his recovery "truly extraordinary" and said it gave "hope for the future."

"Mr P. made it,” she added. “The family brought him home yesterday evening. To teach us that even at 101 years the future is not written.”

Adding to Mr. P’s story is the fact that he was born in 1919 amid the The Spanish Flu pandemic which killed an estimated 50 million people worldwide, according to the CDC.

Italy continues to be one of the hardest hit countries and has recorded more deaths than any other nation.

On Friday, Italy saw a record of 919 new coronavirus deaths, bringing the total number of casualties to 9,134, according to the BBC.

Last week, it was reported that a 90-year-old great-grandmother from Washington was making a remarkable recovery after being diagnosed with coronavirus.

Geneva Wood, who suffered a stroke in January, was hospitalized after testing positive for COVID-19 on March 6th. After being near death, Wood made a miraculous turnaround and was scheduled to be released from the hospital.

Mr. P and Wood’s recoveries are especially hopeful considering coronavirus is particularly dangerous for the elderly, immunocompromised, or those with pre-existing conditions.

LISTEN NOW on the RADIO.COM App
Follow RADIO.COM
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram