Mansfield Woman Says She Bought Sno Cone Contaminated With Bleach

Andrew Greenstein
August 20, 2019 - 6:10 am
 snow cone

Erica Finstad/GettyImages

Categories: 

MANSFIELD (1080 KRLD) - A trip to a snow cone store leads to some tense moments for a Mansfield woman and her seven-year-old son.

Last Friday, Ashlin Siddell took her son, Dylan to get a sno cone from Bahama Buck’s in Mansfield.

One bite of the sno cone, however, and it was obvious that something wasn’t right.

So Siddell went back to the store.

“Right as I parked, I smelled it, and that's when I realized it was bleach,” Siddell says. “When something looked like bleach, tasted like bleach and smelled like bleach, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that it was bleach.”

Neither Siddell, who tasted it herself, nor her son got sick.

“I'm just lucky that my son is seven and was able to tell me,” says Siddell, “because if it had been a toddler that's not old enough to tell you the difference, how much of it would they have eaten?”

Siddell says the employees appeared to be genuinely frightened over the situation, although she says the manager on duty acted nonchalant about it.

She reached out to the regional manager.

“When I finally did speak with the regional manager, they hadn't even notified her of this,” says Siddell. “And by the time she got to the store, they had thrown the sno cone away.”

Siddell filed a complaint with the Tarrant County Public Health Department.

Bahama Bucks has released a statement on the incident:

“Bahama Buck’s takes these findings very seriously as the health and safety of our guests are top priorities. We believe this is an isolated incident and not reflective across the system in our company or franchise locations. Nonetheless, we have reinforced our processes for washing our flavor bottles and conducted team member hygiene training at this location. The Tarrant County Public Health Department has visited this location since the findings and has reported the shop is safe for operation.”