FIFA World Cup

FILE - Feb. 15, 1995 file photo of Ireland soccer team manager Jack Charlton. Jack Charlton, who won the World Cup with England in 1966, has died it was announced on Saturday July 11, 2020. He was 85. (PA via AP)
July 11, 2020 - 6:18 am
Jack Charlton, an uncompromising central defender who played alongside his brother, Bobby, in England’s World Cup-winning side in 1966 before enjoying coaching success with Ireland, has died. He was 85. Nicknamed “Big Jack,” and celebrated for his earthy “beer and cigarettes” image, Charlton was...
Read More
Yuliy Boyarshinov, right, and Viktor Filinkov, members of a left-wing group Set (Network) listen a court verdict from inside a glass cage in the Western regional military court in St.Petersburg, Russia, Monday, June 22, 2020. Members of the left-wing youth group Set (Network) were accused of terrorism, in a case human rights advocates believe to be fabricated and based on testimony elicited by torture. (AP Photo/David Frenkel)
June 22, 2020 - 8:12 am
ST. PETERSBURG, Russia (AP) — A Russian court convicted two members of a left-wing youth group of terrorism Monday in a case that human rights groups called fabricated and based on coerced testimony. A three-judge panel in the military court in St. Petersburg — in Russia, military courts handle all...
Read More
FILE - In this file photo dated Tuesday, June 19, 2018, former FIFA President Joseph Blatter in Moscow, Russia. According to documents Saturday June 13, 2020, former FIFA president Sepp Blatter is the target of a new investigation in Switzerland for suspected criminal mismanagement of soccer funds. (AP Photo/Dmitry Serebryakov, FILE)
June 13, 2020 - 7:37 am
GENEVA (AP) — Former FIFA president Sepp Blatter is the target of a new investigation in Switzerland for suspected criminal mismanagement of a $1 million payment from soccer funds. Blatter has been notified by Swiss federal prosecutors he is an “accused person” over a loan FIFA gave in 2010 to the...
Read More
FILE - In this Sunday, July 15, 2018, photo, Belgian soccer team coach Roberto Martinez reacts on the balcony of the city hall at the Grand Place in Brussels. Martinez has signed a new contract to lead the Red Devils through the 2022 World Cup in Qatar. (Yves Herman, Pool Photo via AP, File)
May 20, 2020 - 8:53 am
BRUSSELS (AP) — Roberto Martínez signed a new contract to lead Belgium through the 2022 World Cup in Qatar, saying Wednesday he had “unfinished business” with the top-ranked national team following the postponement of this year's European Championship. Martínez took charge in 2016 and led Belgium...
Read More
FILE - In this May 13, 2016, file photo, newly elected CONCACAF President Victor Montagliani smiles as he receives applause from fellow delegates during the 66th FIFA Congress in Mexico City. A FIFA vice president says most international soccer might not be played until 2021 due to coronavirus pandemic travel restrictions and the need to give club competitions the chance to resume. Montagliani of Canada has been heading a FIFA working group formulating plans to deal with the implications of the world’s biggest sport being largely shut down since last month. (AP Photo/Rebecca Blackwell, File)
April 13, 2020 - 7:06 pm
Most international soccer might not be played until 2021 due to coronavirus pandemic travel restrictions and the need to give club competitions the chance to resume, a FIFA vice president said Monday. Victor Montagliani, a Canadian who is president of the governing body for North and Central...
Read More
FILE - In this Tuesday, June 19, 2018 file photo, former FIFA President Joseph Blatter arrives at a hotel in Moscow, Russia. Suspended former FIFA president Sepp Blatter has arrived in Moscow for a World Cup visit at the invitation of Russian President Vladimir Putin. Five years into a sprawling investigation of soccer corruption, the first courtroom trial in Switzerland is due to begin Monday, March 9, 2020 in a 2006 World Cup fraud case. Sepp Blatter, the former FIFA president, and German soccer great Franz Beckenbauer are listed by Switzerland's federal criminal court to testify in the trial of four soccer officials implicated in a suspect 6.7 million euros ($7.6 million) payment. (AP Photo/Dmitry Serebryakov, file)
April 11, 2020 - 6:23 am
GENEVA (AP) — In a legal victory for former FIFA president Sepp Blatter, federal prosecutors in Switzerland plan to drop one of two cases open against him for suspected criminal mismanagement. The Swiss attorney general’s office on Saturday confirmed reports they intend to close an investigation...
Read More
April 06, 2020 - 6:06 pm
NEW YORK (AP) — Prosecutors revealed new details of alleged bribes paid to FIFA executive committee members to gain their votes for Qatar to host the 2022 World Cup and charged a pair of former 21st Century Fox executives with making illegal payments to win broadcast rights for the 2018 and 2022...
Read More
FILE - In this Dec. 6, 2019, file photo, U.S. Soccer President Carlos Cordeiro presides over a meeting of the U.S. Soccer Board of Directors in Chicago. Cordeiro resigned Thursday night, March 12, 2020, three days after the organization filed legal papers in a gender discrimination claiming women players had less physical ability and responsibility than men. (AP Photo/Charles Rex Arbogast, File)
March 12, 2020 - 11:57 pm
Carlos Cordeiro resigned as U.S. Soccer Federation president on Thursday night, three days after the organization sparked a backlash when its legal papers in a gender discrimination lawsuit claimed the women's national team players had less physical ability and responsibility than their male...
Read More
A young United States fan holds up a sign advocating for equal pay for women's soccer players after the United States defeated Japan in a SheBelieves Cup women's soccer match, Wednesday, March 11, 2020 at Toyota Stadium in Frisco, Texas. (AP Photo/Jeffrey McWhorter)
March 11, 2020 - 10:16 pm
The U.S. Soccer Federation apologized Wednesday night after it made claims in court documents that women on its national team had lesser responsibilities and physical abilities than their male counterparts, an assertion that drew widespread criticism and sparked an apparent player protest. The...
Read More
Former soccer star Ronaldinho, second from left, and his brother Roberto de Assis Moreira walks escorted by police officers to declare to judge Clara Ruiz Diaz at Justice Palace in Asuncion, Paraguay, Saturday, March 7, 2020. Ronaldinho and his brother Roberto were alleged to enter to the country with a false Paraguayan passport.(AP Photo/Jorge Saenz)
March 07, 2020 - 9:34 am
ASUNCION, Paraguay (AP) — Former soccer star Ronaldinho and his brother were taken in handcuffs to a courthouse in Paraguay on Saturday following their arrest for allegedly entering the country with falsified documents. Prosecutors are seeking to extend the detention of 39-year-old Ronaldinho and...
Read More

Pages