Hemorrhagic fever

November 15, 2018 - 12:33 pm
UNITED NATIONS (AP) — Seven U.N. peacekeepers were killed and 10 wounded in a military operation with Congolese forces against rebels in the northeast, which is facing a deadly Ebola outbreak, the United Nations said Thursday. U.N. spokesman Stephane Dujarric said one U.N. peacekeeper was still...
Read More
November 13, 2018 - 11:50 am
GENEVA (AP) — The emergencies chief for the World Health Organization says he expects Congo's Ebola outbreak will last at least another six months, and says informal health facilities have become "major drivers" of the current, deadly transmission. Dr. Peter Salama says makeshift "tradi-modern"...
Read More
November 10, 2018 - 6:18 am
KINSHASA, Congo (AP) — Congo's health ministry says the latest Ebola outbreak has now become the worst in the country's recorded history with 319 confirmed and probable cases. The ministry said late Friday that the deadly virus has killed about 198 people since the outbreak was declared Aug. 1 in...
Read More
October 30, 2018 - 3:10 pm
UNITED NATIONS (AP) — The U.N. Security Council on Tuesday called on armed groups jeopardizing the response to an Ebola outbreak in Congo to immediately halt their attacks, expressing "great concern" at the potential regional spread of the often deadly virus. A resolution adopted unanimously by the...
Read More
In this photo taken Friday, Oct 5, 2018, Congolese Soldiers patrol in an area civilians were killed by The Allied Democratic Forces rebels in Beni, Eastern Congo. Congo’ military said Sunday Oct. 21, 2018, that rebels attacked an Ebola treatment centre in Beni, leaving over a dozen civilians dead and abducted about a dozen children, which could force crucial virus containment efforts to be suspended in the area. (AP Photo/Al-hadji Kudra Maliro)
October 22, 2018 - 4:28 pm
JOHANNESBURG (AP) — Health teams responding to Congo's latest Ebola outbreak are attacked three or four times a week on average, a level of violence unseen in the country's nine previous outbreaks of the deadly virus, the health ministry said Monday. The coordinator of the outbreak response, Dr...
Read More
In this photo taken Friday, Oct 5, 2018, family members and onlookers mourn over the bodies of civilian killed by The Allied Democratic Forces rebels in Beni, Eastern Congo. Congo’ military said Sunday Oct. 21, 2018, that rebels attacked an Ebola treatment centre in Beni, leaving over a dozen civilians dead and abducted about a dozen children, which could force crucial virus containment efforts to be suspended in the area. (AP Photo/Al-hadji Kudra Maliro)
October 21, 2018 - 2:44 pm
JOHANNESBURG (AP) — Congolese rebels killed 15 civilians and abducted a dozen children in an attack at the epicenter of the latest deadly Ebola outbreak, Congo's military said Sunday, as the violence again forced crucial virus containment efforts to be suspended. "It will be very hard to stop the...
Read More
October 20, 2018 - 5:14 pm
JOHANNESBURG (AP) — Congo's health minister called it a "dark day" for everyone fighting the deadly Ebola outbreak after rebels shot and killed two medical agents with the Congolese army who had been assisting health officials. It appeared to be the first time health workers have been killed by...
Read More
Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, Director General of the World Health Organization (WHO), speaks to the media after the International Health Regulations Emergency Committee on Ebola in Congo, in Geneva, Switzerland, Wednesday, Oct. 17, 2018. The World Health Organization says it is “deeply concerned” by the ongoing Ebola outbreak in Congo but the situation does not yet warrant being declared a global emergency. (Salvatore Di Nolfi/Keystone via AP)
October 17, 2018 - 2:12 pm
GENEVA (AP) — The World Health Organization says it is "deeply concerned" by the ongoing Ebola outbreak in Congo but the situation does not yet warrant being declared a global emergency. After convening an expert group to assess the epidemic on Wednesday, the U.N. health agency said "response...
Read More
October 04, 2018 - 7:12 am
DAKAR, Senegal (AP) — The international community is sounding new alarm after three Red Cross workers were attacked while trying to contain the latest deadly Ebola outbreak in Congo. The U.N. Security Council seeks an immediate end to hostilities as it leaves for a Congo visit Thursday. Human...
Read More
FILE - In this Sunday, Sept 9, 2018 file photo, health workers walk with a boy suspected of having the Ebola virus at an Ebola treatment centre in Beni, Eastern Congo. The World Health Organization says the risk of the deadly Ebola virus spreading from Congo is now "very high" after two confirmed cases were discovered near the Uganda border. The outbreak in northeastern Congo is larger than the previous one in the northwest and more complicated for health officials with insecurity from rebel groups. As of Friday, Sept. 28 there were 124 confirmed Ebola cases including 71 deaths. (AP Photo/Al-hadji Kudra Maliro, file)
September 29, 2018 - 5:43 am
JOHANNESBURG (AP) — The risk of the deadly Ebola virus spreading from Congo is now "very high" after two confirmed cases were discovered near the Uganda border, the World Health Organization says. The outbreak of the hemorrhagic fever in northeastern Congo is now larger than the previous one in the...
Read More

Pages