Wireless technology

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, boards a plane as he departs on a multi-country trip, Thursday, Feb. 13, 2020, at Andrews Air Force Base, Md. (Andrew Caballero-Reynolds/Pool via AP)
February 13, 2020 - 8:18 am
WASHINGTON (AP) — Some of President Donald Trump’s top foreign policy priorities stand at pivotal moments as two high-level national security officials head to an annual security forum in Germany. Strains in the trans-Atlantic relationship have cast doubt on whether they can count on much help from...
Read More
FILE - In this Jan. 8, 2020, file photo, national security adviser Robert O'Brien, listens as President Donald Trump addresses the nation from the White House in Washington. As the White House presses allies to ban Huawei equipment, O'Brien says the Chinese company has the ability to secretly retrieve sensitive information from that equipment. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon, File)
February 12, 2020 - 11:56 am
WASHINGTON (AP) — The Chinese company Huawei can secretly tap into communications through the networking equipment it sells globally, a U.S. official charged as the White House stepped up efforts to persuade allies to ban the gear from next-generation cellular networks. The U.S. national security...
Read More
FILE - In this Feb. 13, 2019, file photo Sprint Corporation Executive Chairman Marcelo Claure, left, speaks with T-Mobile US CEO and President John Legere during the House Commerce subcommittee hearing on Capitol Hill in Washington. A federal judge has removed a major obstacle to T-Mobile's $26.5 billion takeover of Sprint, as he rejected claims by a group of states that the deal would mean less competition and higher phone bills. (AP Photo/Jose Luis Magana, File)
February 11, 2020 - 3:34 pm
NEW YORK (AP) — T-Mobile’s $26.5 billion takeover of Sprint could mean higher or lower phone bills, depending on whom you ask. A federal judge in New York ultimately took T-Mobile's track record of aggressive competition into account in ruling Tuesday that the deal would be good for consumers. In...
Read More
U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, right, buttons his jacket after holding a joint news conference with Kazakh Foreign Minister Mukhtar Tleuberdi at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Nur-Sultan, Kazakhstan, Sunday, Feb. 2, 2020. (Kevin Lamarque/Pool Photo via AP)
February 03, 2020 - 11:29 pm
TASHKENT, Uzbekistan (AP) — The countries Secretary of State Mike Pompeo visited on a five nation-tour over the last week varied from longtime ally Britain to ex-Soviet republics in Central Asia. But the message he conveyed to his hosts stayed the same: Beware of China. In his trip to Europe and...
Read More
UK Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab shakes hands with US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, right, in London, Wednesday Jan. 29, 2020. Pompeo is in the UK for high level trade talks ahead of Britain's exit from the European Union on upcoming Friday. (Peter Summers/Pool via AP)
January 30, 2020 - 8:54 am
LONDON (AP) — U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Thursday that the U.S. and Britain would retain and enhance their special relationship once the U.K. leaves the European Union this week. He also said that American unhappiness with the British decision to allow the Chinese tech company Huawei...
Read More
Mobile network phone masts are visible in front of St Paul's Cathedral in the City of London, Tuesday, Jan. 28, 2020. The Chinese tech firm Huawei has been designated a "high-risk vendor" but will be given the opportunity to build non-core elements of Britain's 5G network, the government has announced. The company will be banned from the "core", of the 5G network, and from operating at sensitive sites such as nuclear and military facilities, and its share of the market will be capped at 35%. (AP Photo/Alastair Grant)
January 29, 2020 - 6:45 am
LONDON (AP) — The European Union unveiled security guidelines for next generation high-speed wireless networks that stop short of banning Huawei, in the latest setback for the U.S. campaign against the Chinese tech company. The EU's executive Commission on Wednesday outlined a set of strategic and...
Read More
FILE - In this Oct. 31, 2019, filer photo, a man uses his smartphone as he stands near a billboard for Chinese technology firm Huawei at the PT Expo in Beijing. British and American officials are meeting as U.K. Prime Minister Boris Johnson's government prepares to decide on whether there's a future for Chinese equipment maker Huawei in the country's next-generation telecom networks, his spokesman said Monday, Jan. 13, 2020. (AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein, File)
January 27, 2020 - 11:29 am
LONDON (AP) — Britain faces a crucial choice on Tuesday over whether to allow China's Huawei Technologies to build its next-generation wireless networks. The decision has implications for the country's diplomatic relations with the United States, which is pushing allies to shun the Chinese company...
Read More
January 10, 2020 - 7:00 pm
CNN has agreed to pay $76 million in backpay as part of a record settlement with the federal labor board after the cable television network terminated the contracts of unionized camera operators in 2003. The settlement is the “largest monetary remedy” in the National Labor Relations Board’s 85-year...
Read More
Vietnamese former Minister of information and communication Nguyen Bac Son, left, valuer Hoang Duy Quang, second left, former Mobifone Chairman Le Nam Tra, second right, former Minister of information and communication Truong Minh Tuan, right, stand as judge reads the verdicts at their trial in Hanoi, Vietnam Saturday, Dec. 28, 2019. Hanoi court on Saturday sentenced Son to life imprisonment in a multi-million dollar corruption case that also saw another minister and a dozen executives receive lengthy prison terms. (Nguyen Van Diep/VNA via AP)
December 28, 2019 - 12:20 am
HANOI, Vietnam (AP) — A Vietnamese court on Saturday sentenced an ex-minister to life imprisonment in a multimillion-dollar corruption case that also saw another minister and a dozen executives receive lengthy prison terms, state media reported. Nguyen Bac Son was accused of taking a bribe of $3...
Read More
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, right, shakes hands with Portuguese Foreign Minister Augusto Santos Silva at the Foreign Ministry in Lisbon Thursday, Dec. 5, 2019. (AP Photo/Armando Franca)
December 05, 2019 - 6:27 am
LISBON, Portugal (AP) — Portugal won’t exclude Chinese companies from competing in a planned public tender for the country’s next-generation 5G wireless network, senior Portuguese officials told U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Thursday. Portugal is the latest European Union country to resist...
Read More

Pages